Tuesday, May 10, 2005

My Invisible Friend is Ruining the Party

What if I told you I had an imaginary friend?
You might say I was a little too old for such nonsense.
What if I told you that my imaginary friend was rich and powerful?
You can’t meet my friend, he is imaginary after all, but he can write you a check, a big check. And getting paid is always good. Right?
What if I told you my imaginary friend was more important and powerful than you or me or our children?
Now my imaginary friend is no longer a cute quirk of an over active imagination. Now my imaginary friend is becoming obnoxious and you don’t want to play anymore.
What if your boss told you to clean out your desk because my imaginary friend was sending your job to China? Or your elected officials changed the laws to make imaginary friends more important than real people like you and me and our children?
You pissed off yet?
I am.

People have been dreaming up these imaginary friends for a long time, they are called corporations. And in return for protecting their “real” friends from financial risk, these corporations have gained a huge amount of real world control. Most of us work for corporations. We all get our news and entertainment from corporations. And our government passes laws written by corporations for corporations. In fact, it has become a given that corporations are more powerful and have more rights than you and me.

BUT HAVE YOU EVER MET A CORPORATION?

Hello Miss, I’d like to speak to Mr. Coca-Cola please?
What? He’s not in his office. He doesn’t have an office?
Can I talk to General Motors then?
No? When do you expect them in? Never? But you work for them don’t you? Yes, but when was the last time you saw them?

Think about it.
If corporations are really just imaginary friends, then why do all us “real people” all do what they say?
That’s kind of immature don’t you think?

Somehow, we need to connect with the “real people” who own and run these imaginary corporations and get them to take control and responsibility.
Somehow, we need to get corporate money and influence out of “our government” and get the government to control the corporations.

More ranting and raving to come in the near future.
But it will be my ranting and raving, not the whispering of some invisible friend whose only reason for existing is to acquire profits.
In the mean time, watch “Orwell Rolls In His Grave” http://www.orwellrollsinhisgrave.com/ which describes how a handful of invisible corporations have complet

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home