Thursday, November 16, 2006

Reading Ken Wilber

I remember the first Ken Wilber book I ever saw. I was prowling the stacks at the Barnes & Noble when I saw a book called, “A Brief History of Everything.” Wow! What an egotistical blowhard. Who could possible believe they could explain EVERYTHING in a couple of hundred pages? Who did this Ken Wilber guy think he was?

So I picked up the book and started reading, just to get a sample of the obvious crap that was bound to be inside. And I kept reading, and reading, and reading. Then I bought the book and took it home and read the whole thing. Ken Wilber really was attempting to describe a framework or map that helps to position EVERYTHING in relation to everything else. EVERYTHING. It was skeptical. But it was just so damned interesting. It made my brain hurt at times, but I kept on fighting my way through his theory. Ken Wilber was obviously a compulsive learner who had dipped his toes into a vast quantity of knowledge from a huge number of areas: philosophy, psychology, religion, physics, sociology, etc., etc., etc. I was impressed by his reach and intrigued by his ideas, but I had this sneaking feeling that his Integral Model was just too good to be true.

So I put the book down and kept on moving through my life. That was over six years ago. I kept living and reading and trying to make sense of everything. And I noticed a strange thing: I kept placing the things I was learning into Ken’s Integral Model and they kept fitting. Not only did things fit, the more I looked at things from the multiple perspectives of the Integral Model the more things started to make sense.

I will not even attempt to describe Ken Wilber’s Integral Model, or AQAL, or any his stuff here. Ken Wilber does a much better job explaining than I could do in a quick blog entry. But I will say that I am still reading Ken Wilber (most recently, Boomeritis and Integral Spirituality) and I am still blown away by his ability to bring seemingly contradictory realms of experience and knowledge together. And I am increasingly blown away by the circle of like minded people who have gathered around him to share and discuss their areas of expertise. It gives me hope to see so many smart and compassionate people focusing on understanding and growing and evolving so that we can reach our highest potentials.

So why this post? No reason other than to say, I really dig Ken and I think other smart people might like him too.
http://www.kenwilber.com/home/landing/index.html

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

can you be more specific please? or do i have to spend an hour on wikipedia? i'd rather hear you explain him since you seem to be in love with the man. i hope you don;t love him more than you love me though, i'll kick his ass. so please, bro, what is Ken Wilber? Who is Ken Wilber? Why is Ken Wilber? And does he really have all the answers? Are we really alone in the universe? Why didn't Bush fire Rumsfield BEFORE the election? Why did Britney marry K-Fed in the first place? Will I ever find happiness? How many licks does it take to get to the center of a mother-fucking blow-pop??? I need answers. Get busy! And please be specific next time!

11/16/06, 1:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home